Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm cuckoo for Cuckoo Clocks ...

Today we drove deep into the Black Forest ... in search of the rare Cuckoo Clock ... ok ok not so rare once you get there! The drive was up a very winding narrow road and we arrived in the village of Triberg Germany. Triberg is famous for waterfalls and cuckoo clocks ...
From Germany2012Album
From Germany2012Album
Linda and I decided to trek up to the Triberg waterfall ...
From Germany2012Album
From Germany2012Album
From Germany2012Album
I had seen a cuckoo clock I really liked in the House of 1000 Clocks but it was very expensive ... we went next door and the shop turned out to be an outlet of a clockmaker down the road ... this particular maker did his own work, by hand, and sold only his designs thru his shop. The girl in the shop suggested we go to see him ... we did ... The House of Black Forest Clocks was a very interesting place ... we got to visit the clock maker in his workshop and spoke at length with him about his craft and family. He is a 6th generation clock maker ... His workshop ...
From Germany2012Album
From Germany2012Album
The clock maker Adolf Herr giving Carolyn a lesson in clock making ...
From Germany2012Album
and with Woodie and Linda ...
From Germany2012Album
One of a couple of workbenches in what is a pretty crowded shop ...
From Germany2012Album
This is the clock we bought ... it's really very cool ...
From Germany2012Album
Also in Herr Herr's shop were cool beer steins ...
From Germany2012Album
and handmade grandfather clocks ...
From Germany2012Album
I really liked these steins ...
From Germany2012Album
From Germany2012Album
This is a GIANT cuckoo clock outside the store/shop ...
From Germany2012Album
... it all works ... things move and it has a really loud "cuckoo". It was a very cool day!

2 comments:

  1. Brandilina says:
    WOW!!! What a very cool day!!! Bet you NEVER had "meet a cookoo clock maker in Germany" on your bucket list! This unexpected adventure makes me very excited! It sounds like how we ended up with 10 place settings from Mexico - a happy adventure that adds to the family story! I think I have reached my exclamation mark quota, but very excited to hear the whole story! (I was wrong, I had another "!") safe travels and enjoy the last few days of your adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love soaring mountains, I think Triberg is the best so far. Smuggle back a bottle of the local beer.

    ReplyDelete